Spreadsheet with Python scripting and database interface?

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Thu Aug 11 13:50:04 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 04:21, Wolfgang Keller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a spreadsheet application (MacOS X prefered, but
> Windows, Linux ar available as well) with support for Python scripting
> (third-party "plug-ins" are ok) and a database interface.
>
> Applications that I know of (that they exist) are:
>
> MS Excel
> Quattro
> Lotus
> OO Calc
> Gnumeric
> Kspread
>
> Which ones have I forgotten?
>
> Which ones have support for Python scripting?
> [snip]
> OO Calc: I know that PyUNO exists, but I know nothing about what it can
> actually do?
> [snip]

See http://udk.openoffice.org/python/python-bridge.html for more than
you'll ever want to know about this. In a nutshell, you can do pretty
much anything.

One thing that's not clear from your question is whether you want to
script the office from within using a macro or from the outside via
"remote control". PyUNO allows both, but Python macros are only possible
with the OpenOffice 2 scripting framework.

Hope this helps,

Carsten Haese.