up to date books?

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Sat Aug 20 06:33:41 EDT 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:25:36 +0200, Magnus Lycka <lycka at carmen.se> wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>> Just one more quick question: I'm basically learning programming for
>> fun, and I'm concentrating on C# right now. Python seems interesting,
>> but I was wondering if I should even bother. Would it supplement C# in
>> any way, or can C# do everything Python can?
>
> Python is an excellent tool in any programmers toolbox. [...]
> If I was a professional C# developer, I'm pretty sure I'd use Python
> quite a bit. As a professional C++ programmer and database developer,
> I've used Python to manage tests, find and repair broken data in
> mission critical production systems, [...]
> Actually, during seven years as an independent consultant, I found good
> use for Python with every client.

Same here. Python is also a language that organizations and bosses tend to,
increasingly, accept as a "real language" in which "real programs" can be
written. Sometimes perceptions matter.

One more positive thing about Python, as compared to C#, is that it isn't
tied to a specific manufacturer or environment. That may not matter
short-term, but in the long run, it may be crucial for the program
-- and for the programmer.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!