up to date books?

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Sat Aug 20 06:18:16 EDT 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:58:23 +0200, Magnus Lycka <lycka at carmen.se> wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>> hi all. are there any recommendations for an intro book to python that
>> is up-to-date for the latest version?
>
> It depends on what kind of books you like, and of course on your
> previous experience.
> If you like a high density book, Alex Martelli's "Python in a Nutshell"
> is great,

That one is my first choice. FYI, it is based on Python 2.2, but discusses
most (all?) interesting 2.3 features too. That has been very acceptable to
me.

I wouldn't buy a book that didn't discuss 'yield' or list comprehensions.

> Probably not. Most recent changes to Python, such as decorators, are
> things that beginners might want to leave until later... New standard
> modules, such as datetime, are covered in the standard library manual.

Exactly.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!