while c = f.read(1) [comment on news hosting]

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 24 21:52:04 EDT 2005

Steve Holden wrote:

> Well you could do worse than use the gmane.comp.python.general newsgroup
> if you want to use an NNTP newsreader. I recently left the ISP who had
> provided me with news services for years, and I am very happy with the
> gmane service (though heaven only knows why they chose to use a name
> other than comp.lang.python for the group: perhaps they were only aware
> of the list it gateways when they established the service).

Their service is *only* about gatewaying mailing lists to their NNTP
server. I'm certain they were aware of comp.lang.python and how it is
gatewayed to python-list, but they aren't a general USENET node and
don't get USENET feeds from other nodes. gmane.comp.python.general
articles come only from python-list. I imagine that it would be impolite
to name any of their newsgroups using one of the controlled Big Eight
hierarchies.

But I agree that it is quite nice and is what I use to access
c.l.py/python-list so that I can use the same server both at home and at
work.

http://gmane.org

--
Robert Kern