while c = f.read(1) [comment on news hosting]

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Aug 24 21:35:07 EDT 2005

Greg McIntyre wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>
>>>    Robert> Please quote the message you are replying to. We have no
>>>    Robert> idea what "the 2nd option" is.
>>>
>>>I think he means the second option you presented
>>>
>>>  If you must read one character at a time,
>>>
>>>     def reader(fileobj, blocksize=1):
>>>         """Return an iterator that reads blocks of a given size from a
>>>         file object until EOF.
>>>         ...snip
>>>
>>>With a decent threaded news/mail reader, the thread provides
>>>sufficient context, no?
>>
>>Not taking into account the python-list gateway or GMane. I see his
>>message threaded directly under his original one.
>>
>>And dammit, I'm vain enough that if people are complimenting my code, I
>>want to be sure about it.  ;-)
>

> Sorry Robert, I'm using Google Groups until I figure out the news
> settings for our ISP at work (which is most unhelpful). I'm not used to
> using it and the default 'Reply' option doesn't quote. :\ Not a good
> excuse, I know.

[...]

Well you could do worse than use the gmane.comp.python.general newsgroup
if you want to use an NNTP newsreader. I recently left the ISP who had
provided me with news services for years, and I am very happy with the
gmane service (though heaven only knows why they chose to use a name
other than comp.lang.python for the group: perhaps they were only aware
of the list it gateways when they established the service).

Anyway, ther price is certainly right.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/