Some questions

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Sat Aug 20 06:43:24 EDT 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:53:56 GMT, Alessandro Bottoni <alessandro.bottoni at infinito.it> wrote:
> Titi Anggono wrote:
>> 2. I use gnuplot.py module for interfacing with
>> gnuplot in linux. Can we make the plot result shown in
>> web ? I tried using cgi, and it didn't work.
>
> The ability to display a image (in this case a GNUPlot plot) on a web page
> depends on the browser. Normally, you have to install a specific plug-in
> for displaying not-standard types of images on a web page, like it happens
> with Macromedia Flash.
>
> I do not know if exists any GNUPlot plug-in for the most common web
> browsers. Maybe you can save your plot in a format that is compatible with
> the existing viewers, like GIF, TIFF or JPEG. Have a look at GNUPlot
> documentation for this.

There is AFAIK no specific gnuplot image format, so saving to some other
format would have to be involved anyway. My version of Gnuplot includes
support for PNG, jpeg, encapsulated PostScript and SVG among other things[1].
PNG is probably the best overall choice.

For bonus points, one could generate the format the browser says it
prefers ...

/Jorgen
[1] "set terminal" at the gnuplot prompt lists them.

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!