Jargons of Info Tech industry

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Fri Aug 26 20:46:15 EDT 2005

Ulrich Hobelmann <u.hobelmann at web.de> writes:
> No, the few sites where I actually have to log in to do anything
> useful, when they're well-coded, tell me that they need cookies, and
> if I think I like that website I make an exception entry for that
> site, allowing cookies.  Most sites just bombard you with useless,
> crap cookies (maybe advertising), so they are silently ignored by my
> browser.

I believe (but I'm not sure) that some releases of apache could be
configured in such a way that they would start using cookies without
you having to turn them on.

> The only thing I hate is when I am directed to some website that needs
> cookies, but doesn't tell me.  A couple times I did a survey, wasting
> maybe 10 minutes of my life for a good cause, and then there was an
> error. Great!  I guess that page needed cookies, but didn't bother to
> tell me.  Back button didn't work, either, so I just left that website.

Try turning off JavaScript (I assume you don't because you didn't
complain about it). Most of the sites on the web that use it don't
even use the NOSCRIPT tag to notify you that you have to turn the
things on - much less use it to do something useful.

Sturgeon's law applies to web sites, just like it does to everything
else.

    <mike