Sandboxes

42 nospam at nospam.com
Mon Aug 22 14:37:42 EDT 2005

In article <n7ednZxwhd8IbZTeRVn-jA at comcast.com>, no at spam says...
> 42 wrote:
> > Or is this a hopeless cause?
> >
> > Finally, either way, would anyone recommend a different script engine
> > that might be more suitable for what I'm trying to accomplish that I
> > might not have looked at. I don't need much; it needs to work with C#,
> > and be able to easily interact with 'published' interface. I'd also like
> > to leverage a "popular" language instead of something obscure.
>
> You need a scripting language that is completely implemented in .NET
> (i.e. "managed").  Try Boo: http://boo.codehaus.org/
> And then from your C# host, use the .NET security API for restricting
> what the script is allowed to do.  See the example below, as well as
> msdn docs on SecurityPermissionFlag, PermissionSet, SetAppDomainPolicy...
> http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=264462&whichpage=1&#1620355
> And here are docs on using boo as an embedded scripting language:
> http://boo.codehaus.org/Boo+as+an+embedded+scripting+language

I was also looking at IronPython 0.9 and it might do longer term; I
don't need a lot of 'complicated' functionality so its alpha status
might not even really be a problem. But its targeted at .net2 beta.

I did bump into boo, but I'd never heard of it... I was hoping to use a
fairly mainstream language. I guess I should look a little harder at
boo.