Bug in string.find; was: Re: Proposed PEP: New style indexing,was Re: Bug in slice type

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Wed Aug 31 10:16:28 EDT 2005

Antoon Pardon wrote:

> Op 2005-08-31, Bengt Richter schreef <bokr at oz.net>:

>>>Your missing the point, I probably didn't make it clear.
>>>
>>>It is not about the possibilty of doing such a thing. It is
>>>about python providing a frame for such things that work
>>>in general without the need of extra properties in 'special'
>>>cases.
>>>

>>How about interpreting seq[i] as an abbreviation of seq[i%len(seq)] ?
>>That would give a consitent interpretation of seq[-1] and no errors
>>for any value ;-)
>

> But the question was not about having a consistent interpretation for
> -1, but about an easy way to get the last value.
>
> But I like your idea. I just think there should be two differnt ways
> to index. maybe use braces in one case.
>
>   seq{i} would be pure indexing, that throws exceptions if you
>   are out of bound
>
>   seq[i] would then be seq{i%len(seq)}

The problem with negative index's are that positive index's are zero
based, but negative index's are 1 based.  Which leads to a non
symmetrical situations.

Note that you can insert an item before the first item using slices. But
not after the last item without using len(list) or some value larger
than len(list).

 >>> a = list('abcde')
 >>> a[len(a):len(a)] = ['end']
 >>> a

 >>> a[-1:-1] = ['last']
 >>> a
['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e', 'last', 'end']     # Second to last.

 >>> a[100:100] = ['final']
 >>> a
['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e', 'last', 'end', 'final']

Cheers,
Ron