Bug in string.find; was: Re: Proposed PEP: New style indexing,was Re: Bug in slice type

Bryan Olson fakeaddress at nowhere.org
Wed Aug 31 05:55:59 EDT 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:
 > Not every sequence needs __len__; for example, infinite sequences, or
 > sequences that implement slicing and subscripts by doing lazy
 > evaluation of iterators:
 >
 >   digits_of_pi = memoize(generate_pi_digits())  # 3,1,4,1,5,9,2,...
 >   print digits_of_pi[5]   # computes 6 digits and prints '9'
 >   print digits_of_pi($-5)  # raises exception

Good point. I like the memoize thing, so here is one:

class memoize (object):
     """ Build a sequence from an iterable, evaluating as needed.
     """

     def __init__(self, iterable):
         self.it = iterable
         self.known = []

     def extend_(self, stop):
         while len(self.known) < stop:
             self.known.append(self.it.next())

     def __getitem__(self, key):
         if isinstance(key, (int, long)):
             self.extend_(key + 1)
             return self.known[key]
         elif isinstance(key, slice):
             start, stop, step = key.start, key.stop, key.step
             stop = start + 1 + (stop - start - 1) // step * step
             self.extend_(stop)
             return self.known[start : stop : step]
         else:
             raise TypeError(_type_err_note), "Bad subscript type"

--
--Bryan