Art of Unit Testing

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Aug 3 09:37:42 EDT 2005

Christoph Zwerschke wrote:
> - unittest is for *unit* testing (only) ;-)

Why would you say that?  We've used it extensively for a wide ranging of
testing, not limited to unit tests.

> - use mock objects to mimic the behaviour of external components like
> databases

...when doing unit testing.  If you mock while doing higher level
testing, you'll eventually regret it in most cases.

> Also, if one of the more pythonic unit testing modules will be mature
> enough and widely accepted, I think it would be good to make it Python's
> standard (lib) testing framework and rename the current unittest back to
> pyunit or punit.

What, and break all the code that currently does "import unittest"?

-Peter