Wheel-reinvention with Python

Christopher Subich spam.csubich+block at block.subich.spam.com
Mon Aug 1 09:38:49 EDT 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:
> I think my approach is in some sense completely typical: I don't want
> to install ANYTHING, EVER.  I've described this before.  I want to buy
> a new computer and have all the software I'll ever need already on the
> hard drive, and use it from that day forward.  By the time the

With all due respect, if you're allergic to installing software then why
are you a developer?  To me, your view is somewhat akin to that of a
woodworker who doesn't want to buy tools, or a painter who doesn't want
to buy brushes.

Computers can be merely appliances, sure, but that's wasting the general
purpose part of computation.  Software as separate packaging exists
because we (collectively) don't always know what we want the first (or
second, or third, or...) time around.  And when we do know what we want,
we often muck it up when we try it.