Code run from IDLE but not via double-clicking on its *.py

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Aug 31 08:56:55 EDT 2005

n00m wrote:
> Funnily but I still can't get the code working... WITHOUT IDLE.
> I think it's because of "import thread" line. Seems something
> wrong with "opening" this module. In IDLE it works OK.

Now, let's see ... [presses fingers to temples and exercises psychic
powers] ... ah yes, its because you're DOING SOMETHING WRONG :-)

Unfortunately "can't get the code working" isn't a very helpful
description. Can you explain (preferably with a traceback) how it fails?

Generally speaking, when you take your car into the garage (American:
shop) because "it won't go" it's OK because the technicians can try and
start it themselves. We don;t have your code readily to hand, so we need
a bit more to go on.

Generally speaking you would do well to try the threading module rather
than thread unless you have a specific reason for not doing so. But if
you post your code (or even better a subset of your code that
demonstrates the error so people can pick it apart for themselves) with
a traceback from the interpreter or a full description of what you
expected the code to do and what it actually does we'll be able to help
much more easily.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/