SpamBayes wins PCW Editors Choice Award for anti-spam software.

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 30 09:50:52 EDT 2005

Hi All,

If there any contributors of SpamBayes reading, Congratulations!
SpamBayes has won the Personal Computer World (pcw.co.uk) Editors Choice
award for anti-spam software, in a review of anti-SPAM solutions in the
October 2005 edition. (PCW, for those who don't know it, is sort of the
UK's equivalent of Byte Magazine, except that it's still publishing
after almost 25 years).

SpamBayes was one of two open-source apps in the group review, which
included commercial products from Symantec, McAfee, and half a dozen
other companies.

"""
... SpamBayes 1.0.1 is definitely in a league of its own: during our
tests it obtained a 100% real success rate. It would have to be trained
for several months in order to check that it isn't too strict on a daily
basis and that it lets most of the "good" messages through. However, the
fact that it's free, offers a high level of efficiency and is compatible
with Outlook makes it ideal for anyone looking for a zero cost solution.
As such, we think it deserves our Editor's Choice award. As with all
Bayesian filters, it gets better with use, especially in terms of
detecting wanted mail.
"""

The only problem was they listed the "manufacturer" of the software as
SourceForge, so the product was known as "SourceForge SpamBayes". You
guys need to come up a team/manufacturer name. (But there is a
screenshot of the software in the review, and the "Python Powered" logo
is right there for all to see).

Congratulations!

Unfortunately, PCW don't seem to have made the review available online
(yet), so I can't provide a URL. Maybe someone else will have more
success finding a URL?

thought-ye'd-like-to-know-ly'yrs,

--
alan kennedy