SpamBayes wins PCW Editors Choice Award for anti-spam software.

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Aug 31 11:33:50 EDT 2005

Alan Kennedy wrote:

[PCW award to SpamBayes]

> (PCW, for those who don't know it, is sort of the UK's equivalent of Byte Magazine,
> except that it's still publishing after almost 25 years).

Hmmm. Even Byte at its lowest point was far better than PCW ever was.

[...]

> The only problem was they listed the "manufacturer" of the software as
> SourceForge, so the product was known as "SourceForge SpamBayes".

PCW may still be publishing after 25 years (half the magazine being
adverts probably keeps it just about economically viable), but they
clearly haven't yet managed to shake off that classic 1980s mindset
where "everything is a product by a company" (and, given the
superficial understanding of software licensing still likely to be
pervasive in the mainstream UK IT press, "everything else is public
domain").

As for URLs and other things, last time I looked at the PCW Web site,
it was all time-limited (or page-view-limited) viewing for
non-subscribers. If British print distribution wasn't such a lock-in,
I'd imagine PCW would have taken its place alongside Byte, staring at
us from the print media fossil record.

Paul