Jargons of Info Tech industry

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Fri Aug 26 17:32:21 EDT 2005

Denis Kasak <denis.kasak at gmail.com> wrote:

> John Bokma wrote:
>>
>> so use Lynx :-)
>>
>> One forum I visit is about scorpions. And really, it talks a bit
>> easier about scorpions if you have an image to look at :-D.
>>
>> In short: Usenet = Usenet, and www = www. Why some people want to
>> move people from www to Usenet or vice versa is beyond me. If 80% of
>> the current Usenet users stop posting, Usenet is not going to die :-D
>
> Agreed. This is actually your first post with which content I agree
> totally. From your other posts I got the impression that you are one
> of those people that are trying to make Usenet and WWW more similar to
> one another.

No, not at all. My point is what I wrote above. But also, a lot of
functionality available on Usenet is also available on www. You don't
*have* to convert people to Usenet, and to warn them against a forum on
www. For day to day usage I experience hardly any difference. I mean, I am
not struggeling when I post a message on a web board. And if things take
time to download (for example a thread with many many pictures), I switch
to another tab and do something else (tab browsing is fun :-). Each has its
place. I don't want www on Usenet, and I don't want Usenet on www.

--
John                   Small Perl scripts: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
               Perl programmer available:     http://castleamber.com/