Help sorting a list by file extension

Peter A. Schott paschott at no.yahoo.spamm.com
Fri Aug 12 12:15:40 EDT 2005

OK - I actually got something working last night with a list that is then
converted into a dictionary (dealing with small sets of data - < 200 files per
run).  However, I like the sorted list option - I didn't realize that was even
an option within the definition and wasn't quite sure how to get there.  I
realized I could use os.path.splitext and cast that to an int, but was having
trouble with the sort.

My files only have a single "." in them so this will work well for me.

	(from Tom's code)
[name for dec,name in
sorted((int(os.path.splitext(nm)[1][1:]),nm) for nm in namelist)]

I'll give that a try - it would eliminate the dictionary part of my code and be
a little more efficient.

Thanks to all for the quick responses.

-Pete