Gotchas in user-space matplotlib install?

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 11 16:52:14 EDT 2005

    Matt> Hi all-- I'm planning to try to do a completely local
    Matt> install of matplotlib (in Fedora Core 1)-- the system
    Matt> administrator isn't going to stop me-- but he isn't going to
    Matt> cooperate either. I've got the tarballs for python, numeric,
    Matt> numarray, matplotlib, ipython, wxpython and freetype-- which
    Matt> I think covers the various pre-requisites and
    Matt> post-requisites. One semi-obvious question is where to put
    Matt> the freetype library (the system version in FC1 is not up to
    Matt> the required level)-- but I can only wonder what other
    Matt> trouble I'm going to get into. Any advice before I take the
    Matt> plunge would be appreciated. TIA...

If you do a --prefix=~/usr for all 'configure' and 'python setup.py
install' commands, and set your PATH, C_INCLUDE_PATH,
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH, LIBRARY_PATH, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables
accordingly, and set the MATPLOTLIBDATA environment variable to point
to ~/usr/share/matplotlib, it should work.

When debugging your setup, you might want to run your test
matplotlib/pylab script with

  > python myscript.py --verbose-helpful

OR

  > python myscript.py --verbose-debug

to get extra information about where matplotlib is looking for things.

JDH