text analysis in python

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 18:19:01 EDT 2005

Maurice Ling wrote:
> In the Java world, there is GATE (general architecture for text
> engineering) and it seems very impressive. Are there something like that
> for Python?

I worked with GATE this last summer and really hated it.  Can't decide
whether that was just my growing distaste for Java or actually the GATE
API.  Anyway, if you're looking for something like GATE that (in my
experience) runs significantly faster, you should look at Ellogon
(www.ellogon.org).  It's written in C and TCL, with C++, Java, Perl, and
Python bindings.  And I believe, if you have any software already
written for GATE, Ellogon can run those modules directly.  I've
personally never done so -- all my modules are written in Python (often
simple wrappers for things like MXPOST, MXTerminator, Charniak's parser,
etc.)  I find the Python interface simple and easy to use, and they've
added a number of my suggestions to the API in the last release.

STeVe