new to mac OS10

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sun Apr 17 04:43:09 EDT 2005

Maurice LING wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>
>>> 3. Apple-installed Python's command line tools are symlinked from
>>> /usr/bin to /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework but the OSX
>>> installer for Python 2.4.1 places the commandline tools in
>>> /usr/local/bin and symlinked to /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework.
>>> So it seems to me that Python 2.4.1 (installed using OSX installer
>>> for Python 2.4.1) is not a precise replacement of Apple-installed
>>> Python...
>>

>> Bingo. It's not intended to be one.
>>

> Hi Robert,
>
> Once I've tried to install Python 2.4.1 through the installer Bob
> Ippolito built. I've already for Fink installed Python 2.3.5 in my
> system. So,
>
> /usr/bin/python -> /sw/bin/python

Don't do that. Leave /usr alone! (/usr/local excepted)

Change your PATH environment variable if you want a different Python to
start up when you type

   $ python

> and the newly installed Python 2.4.1 created /usr/local/bin/python ->
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/python
>
> Does /usr/bin/python takes precedence over /usr/local/bin/python?
>
> Somehow it rings an alarm in me...

That depends on your PATH environment variable, and that only affects
the command line in a terminal shell.

Anything that looks for /usr/bin/python should find the link to the
system Python. Anything that just asks for "whatever python comes first
in your PATH" is customizable via the order of directories in your PATH.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter