base64 interoperability

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Apr 8 16:10:11 EDT 2005

Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
> Python's base64 module encodes and decodes differently than PHP's.

really?

> Python's docs says that it ahere's to RFC1521 (sept 1993), while PHP's adheres
> to RFC2045 (nov 1996).  Is there any Python module that uses the new standard?
> Why is Python using the old standard anyways?

have you checked this, or are you just assuming that RFC1521 and RFC2045
contains different BASE64 definitions? (if you look at the standards, you'll find
that they're about MIME, not BASE64 itself.  as far as I know, BASE64 hasn't
changed a bit since it was first defined back in RFC1113).

</F>