threading.Event file descriptor

Nicolas Fleury nid_oizo at yahoo.com_removethe_
Sun Apr 3 18:19:10 EDT 2005

elbertlev at gmail.com wrote:
> There is no event handle used in Event object (for NT at least). Do not
> know about Linux...

And there's no handle at all?  It's not important if it's not an event
handle as long as it is an handle usable with WaitForMultipleObjects.

Also, I don't understand how it will be possible to implement
threading.Event without using finally, at the lower level, a handle,
since as far as I know this is the mechanisms the OS offers.

> Unless you want to rewrite the interpreter (namelly
> PyThread_allocate_lock.c) for platforms you are talking about, you
> would be better of, if you create your own class (derived from Event,
> and ovewritte aquire, release and wait methods).

I wouldn't want to derive from Event since my goal would be to submit a
patch to make subprocess.Popen.wait take an optional threading.Event to
kill the process.

Regards,
Nicolas