Komodo syntax checking for python2.4

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Tue Apr 26 15:46:25 EDT 2005

[George Sakkis wrote]
> I downloaded the latest Komodo (3.1) and configured it for python 2.4
> so that it doesn't show decorators and genexps as syntax errors, but
> background syntax checking doesn't seem to work at all for python 2.4.
> Even for correct files, it shows a "Syntax checking error: Error
> checking syntax: retval = 128, stderr=" alert. For python 2.3 it works
> fine (modulo the new 2.4 syntax of course). Both 2.3 and 2.4 are built
> from source on Cygwin, not ActiveState's binaries, so it might have to
> do with this, but I'm unwilling to install yet another python
> distribution. Does anyone have the same problem with background syntax
> checking on 2.4 ? Thanks,

George,

My suspicion is that the difference is that you are using a Cygwin
Python and it is using Un*x-style process return values. What do the
following return for your Python.

For me on Windows (with ActivePython 2.4):
    >>> import os
    >>> os.system("exit 0")
    0
    >>> os.system("exit 1")
    1

And on Linux:
    >>> import os
    >>> os.system("exit 0")
    0
    >>> os.system("exit 1")
    256

My cygwin Python is currently busted for some reason, so I can't test it
on my system.

On Unix-y/posix-y systems the retval from a process encodes both the
exit status and information on how the process was stopped (c.f. the
os.WIF* methods).

It would be helpful if you could log a bug for this in Komodo's bugdb so
we can track this and make sure it doesn't get lost:

    http://bugs.activestate.com/Komodo

Cheers,
Trent

--