Python 2.4 killing commercial Windows Python development ?

long.in.the.tooth at gmail.com long.in.the.tooth at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 15:14:47 EDT 2005

Just to add my voice to those suffering because of this issue...

For me the main problem is going to a two step install.  Also, it makes
my application much bigger.

Responding to earlier comments, you know what's really frustrating?  So
far, every pc which has failed to install my app has actually had a
copy of this dll someplace.  One is tempted to script the installer to
search for the thing and then copy it over. One wonders that the
install failure rate would be then.  BUT, this would still be an
unacceptable risk.  Nothing makes customers more angry than install
problems.

Bottom line:  If MS wants to support an open source programming
language, they have to do more than give away a tool chain.  They also
have to license their libraries in a compatible way.

Further, (well aware that as the recipeient of a free tool my
complaints might be properly dumped in the trash) if PDF wants to
distribute same, they need to ensure that users will be free to do
programming language type activities, like package and distribute
applications.

So I've got some time before I actually have to distribute, but I do
hope for a solution to this problem.

Thanks very much for all your hard work,

Sean Cavanagh