(Python newbie) Using XP-SP2/MSVC6: No Python24_d.lib, winzip barfs on Python-2.4.1.tar, cannot download bzip2

Bill Davy Bill at SynectixLtd.com
Mon Apr 18 08:08:50 EDT 2005

I downlaoded and installed
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.1/python-2.4.1.msi

I'm trying to build an extension using SWIG 1.3.24 and the linker needs
python24_d.lib (I do not have the DLL either).  I've not found it in any of
the
downloads.

So I tried to download the source to build it myself.  Of
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.1/Python-2.4.1.tar.bz2 and
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.1/Python-2.4.1.tgz, WinZip (9.0 SR1)
just says "Error reading header after processing 0 entries".

Additionally, I've had no joy downloading the unzipper
(ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/bzip2/v102/bzip2-102-x86-win32.exe) from the
site cited for the unzipper (http://sources.redhat.com/bzip2/).  It flashed
up a
black console window momentarily.

Oh, this is sooooo frustrating! :-(

And then I can get to grips with my work.

tia
    Bill