[Newbie] Search-and-delete text processing problem...

Todd_Calhoun anon at anon.com
Fri Apr 1 20:33:59 EST 2005

I'm trying to learn about text processing in Python, and I'm trying to
tackle what should be a simple task.

I have long text files of books with a citation between each paragraph,
which might be like "Bill D. Smith, History through the Ages, p.5".

So, I need to search for every line that starts with a certain string (in
this example, "Bill D. Smith"), and delete the whole line.

I've tried a couple of different things, but none seem to work.  Here's my
latest try.  I apologize in advance for being so clueless.

##########################
#Text search and delete line tool

theInFile = open("test_f.txt", "r")
theOutFile = open("test_f_out.txt", "w")

allLines = theInFile.readlines()

for line in allLines:
    if line[3] == 'Bill':
        line == ' '

theOutFile.writelines(allLines)

I know I could do it in Word fairly easily, but I'd like to learn the Python
way to do things.

Thanks for any advice.