goto statement

Sergei Organov osv at javad.ru
Thu Apr 21 07:57:33 EDT 2005

Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> writes:

[...]

> Some HLLs almost have to have it by definition.  I cut my teeth as programmer
> writing for embedded realtime systems in a HLL (PL/M).  While you could,
> in theory, completely avoid 'goto' in a realtime environment, it would
> make all manner of practical programming problems kind of ugly to implement.
> BTW, all modern systems come complete with 'goto' implemented in
> *hardware* - they're called "interrupts".

Well, I'm writing for embedded realtime systems in C/C++ and have never
encountered a single need to use goto. Comparing interrupts to goto
doesn't make any sense for me either. For example, most architectures
have 'branch' *hardware* instructions that are much more close
equivalents to goto than interrupts are, but that doesn't justify use of
goto in high-level languages in any way.

--
Sergei.