Python, Perl & PDF files

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Tue Apr 26 15:08:02 EDT 2005

In article <d4j91s$bfp$1 at solaris.cc.vt.edu>,
rbt  <rbt at athop1.ath.vt.edu> wrote:
			.
>OK, I'm done seeking to provoke. So, it's official. Perl has *much*,
>*much* better support for dealing with PDF files than does Python.
			.
			.
			.
No, it's not; maybe Perl even has *worse* support.  At the very least,
there's more redundancy in what Perl offers.

I understand that <URL: http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/search?query=pdf&mode=dist >
looks rather convincing; in fact, a couple of years ago, we argued <URL:
http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=7822/ur0304g/ > that indeed Perl was
ahead.  I'm not sure that's true now.

Rather than wander into all the details, let's start over:  what kinds of
things do you think you want to do with PDFs?  You might be surprised to
find that, despite all that CPAN *seems* to offer, your needs aren't met
at all.  Or maybe they are.  It depends.  Let's get specific.