Fast plotting?

Patrick Ellis pellis.no.spam at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Apr 30 00:22:56 EDT 2005

jdh2358 at gmail.com <jdh2358 at gmail.com> typed:
> Are you sure about these numbers?  Most monitors refresh at 70-80Hz,
> so unless you have special display hardware, I'm suspicious of these
> numbers doubt .  I once had a user post to the matplotlib mailing list
> that xplt was refreshing at 1000 Hz.  I think xplt drops plot requests
> while requests are in the queue, so many of the loops in his iteration
> were simply dropped.  If the plotting library puts draw requests in an
> idle event handler, accurate refresh rate numbers can be hard to
> quantify.
>
> JDH

dislin doesn't seem to do that. I varied the number of points in the plot so
the drawing rate went from from 60 Hz to 144 Hz. It scaled linearly above
and below my 85 Hz screen rate. It wouldn't do that if it were dropping
plots. I think that computers are so fast that they can draw to the frame
buffer very quickly, but the slower screen refresh means only some of those
fully drawn frames make it to the monitor.

Even if you are correct, that is still drawing at 85 Hz and thus much faster
than the original poster needed.