Installing Python on a Windows 2000 Server

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Apr 2 03:33:04 EST 2005

Mike Moum wrote:
> We have a central server array running Windows Server 2000 (I think
> that's the right name; networking is not my specialty, but it's
> definately Windows). Some of our workstations run Windows 2000; others
> run Windows XP Pro. I would like to install Python on the server, and
> run the application that I'll be developing from the workstations,
> without having to install any Python components on the workstations
> themselves. In other words, the Python executable, and the various
> libraries, dll's, and what have you, as well as the application that I'm
> developing, should all reside on the server. The only thing on the
> workstations would be a shortcut to myapplication.py.

I would encourage you to try an "administrative" (or "network")
installation. On the server, run msiexec /a python-2.4.1.msi.
This will unpack the MSI file, and create a new one. You need
to make the resulting installation a network share.

Then, on each workstation, you install the msi file on the share,
and specify that you want to run Python from the network share.

This mode of installation is only available since Python 2.4, and
very few people are probably using it, but I'd like to hear whether
it works (it should, in principle).

Regards,
Martin