Installing Python on a Windows 2000 Server

Mike Moum DoubleMPi at Netscape.com
Fri Apr 1 20:50:26 EST 2005

Hi,

I'm a civil engineer who also doubles as chief programmer for technical
applications at my company. Most of our software is written in Visual
Basic because our VP in charge of I.T. likes to have "consistency", and
at the moment we're a Microsoft shop. He has assigned me the task of
developing an new application, the exact nature of which is not
important for my question. I told him that, in my opinion, that Visual
Basic was not the best choice for developing this application, and that
I wanted to use Python. After a bit of discussion of the pros and cons,
he said to go ahead. I managed to keep my jaw from hitting the floor. :>)

We have a central server array running Windows Server 2000 (I think
that's the right name; networking is not my specialty, but it's
definately Windows). Some of our workstations run Windows 2000; others
run Windows XP Pro. I would like to install Python on the server, and
run the application that I'll be developing from the workstations,
without having to install any Python components on the workstations
themselves. In other words, the Python executable, and the various
libraries, dll's, and what have you, as well as the application that I'm
developing, should all reside on the server. The only thing on the
workstations would be a shortcut to myapplication.py.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to do this? I've done some
Google searching, with no conclusive results, and poked about on
python.org, but haven't really been able to find anything. Normally I'd
be happy to just try it out and see what happens, but we're breaking new
ground here (this is an amazingly big step for our hide-bound IS
department!), so I'd like everything to go as smoothly as possible.

TIA,
Mike