Python license (2.3)

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Tue Apr 12 09:15:25 EDT 2005

Op 2005-04-12, Steve Holden schreef <steve at holdenweb.com>:
> Antoon Pardon wrote:
>> I have made a module derived from the Queue module deliverd
>> with python 2.3. I would like to make this module (called
>> tube) available for other people. However it is not clear
>> to me how I can do this in accordance with the python
>> license.
>>
>> First of all it seems I have to make a sumary of how
>> my module differs from the original.
>>
> That would seem to apply primarily because this is a derivative product
> of a Python distribution. Therefore, your description could be limited
> to "removed the rest of the distribution" followed by specific details
> of your changes making Queue into tube.
>
>> Second it seems I have to include the following in
>> my code:
>>
>>   "Copyright (c) 2001, 2002 Python Software Foundation;
>>    All Rights Reserved"
>>
>> Do I understand correctly?
>>
> I believe so.
>
>> Because I don't mind the first but I'm not so happy
>> with the second. Are there other things I have to
>> watch out for?
>>
> Since the PSF copyrighted the original work from which you are deriving,
> you have already agreed to do this in any distributed derived work:
>
>    http://www.python.org/2.3/license.html
>
> clearly says """provided, however, that PSF's License Agreement and
> PSF's notice of copyright, i.e., "Copyright (c) 2001, 2002, 2003 Python
> Software Foundation; All Rights Reserved" are retained in Python 2.3
> alone or in any derivative version prepared by Licensee."""
>
> Should we wait until you publish tube and then remove *your* attribution
> to claim the code as our own?

Oh I see, I just have to include that attribution, next to my own.
I somehow got the idea that I had to hand over my copyright to
the Python Software Foundation.

What licence can I use? Somewhere they say you can combine python
code with GPL code. Does that mean that the resulting code has
to have both the GPL license as the PSF license, as both seem
to want that derived work uses the same license.

--
Antoon Pardon