Getting into Python, comming from Perl.

Michael Soulier msoulier at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 14:00:37 EDT 2005

On 4/24/05, Miguel Manso <mmanso at amplitudenet.pt> wrote:
> I'm a programmer with 5 year of experience into Perl. I'm on that point
> where you resolve problems without thinking on HOW you'll do it with
> that language but only on the problem itself.

I code in perl and C all day. Python is a very nice escape for me.

> Since Perl 6 started I've been following it. The conclusion I have is
> they're making a whole new language and I'll have to learn it. This
> being said and, since I've to learn a new language, I've started
> thinking in a new language. I've noticed Python is getting more and more
> developers and many projects are being made.

Perl6 seems to be taking its best features from Python, so I'll just
cut through the middle-man. ;-)

> I've tryed to use python some times but I get frustrated very quick. I
> get myself many times needing to figure out how to loop through a list,
> declare an associative array, checking how to pass named parameters to
> functions, and simple things like that.
>
> What I would like to know is if anyone had these problems and if you can
> share that experience with me. I'm trying to minimize my "frustration" :)

Sure, happens, but it happens with any new languages. Keep using it,
and you'll get over it.

Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier at gmail.com>