Getting into Python, comming from Perl.

Miguel Manso mmanso at amplitudenet.pt
Sun Apr 24 13:56:07 EDT 2005

Hi, list.

I'm into a psicological doubt that I would like to share with you
(you'll know why later on this mail).

I'm a programmer with 5 year of experience into Perl. I'm on that point
where you resolve problems without thinking on HOW you'll do it with
that language but only on the problem itself.

Since Perl 6 started I've been following it. The conclusion I have is
they're making a whole new language and I'll have to learn it. This
being said and, since I've to learn a new language, I've started
thinking in a new language. I've noticed Python is getting more and more
developers and many projects are being made.

I've tryed to use python some times but I get frustrated very quick. I
get myself many times needing to figure out how to loop through a list,
declare an associative array, checking how to pass named parameters to
functions, and simple things like that.

What I would like to know is if anyone had these problems and if you can
share that experience with me. I'm trying to minimize my "frustration" :)

Thanks a lot.

--
Miguel Manso <mmanso at amplitudenet.pt>
Amplitude Net