web authoring tools

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Apr 12 13:55:15 EDT 2005

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote in
>
>>Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>>
>>>I believe Dreamweaver-esque.  I see myself writing articles and
>>>eventually doing snazzy eye candy layouts.  I do not see myself
>>>engaging in elaborate flow control or anything terribly programmatic.
>>> I want to concentrate on the content, not the mechanism.
>>>

>>I've stayed out of this one so far because of a natural disinclination
>>to join religious discussions, but sine we are now talking good common
>>sense I'd like to ask whether a *batch-oriented* system for folding
>>database content into a static web site with common look-and-feel
>>would be of interest.
>>
>>Now PyCon is over I've been able to blog about the techniques used to
>>generate the web site at http://www.holdenweb.com/, and most recently
>>about using reStructured Text in the database to ease authorship
>>problems for the less-taxing content. See
>>
>>http://www.holdenweb.com/blogs/2005/04/versioned-reviews-implemented-po
>>st.html
>>
>>to determine whether the overall approach would work for you.
>

> I have 2 goals:
>
> 1) to worry about plumbing as little as possible, as I generate articles
> and content.  Once a framework is established, this can be handled
> "cookie cutter."

The purpose of the software is precisely to deliver database content in
a "fully-plumbed" fashion. You still have to maintain the content, and
there are clearly no drag-and-drop tools, but a set of database rows in
a page table is what the system uses to generate www.holdenweb.com.

> 2) to create a unique brand identity based on good eye candy.  For this
> part of the problem, the website cannot look generic.  At a minimum, I
> would need a facility that allows me to painlessly arrange my own 2D
> artwork.

That's what stylesheets are for, and this design is fully stylesheet-driven.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/