Thoughts on some stdlib modules

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Sun Apr 10 04:01:39 EDT 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Is it good that people write these wrappers?

No.

> I don't think so. Is it
> the library's fault? I don't think so, either. People write these
> wrappers because they cannot remember how to use the library.

I slightly disagree. It's a symptom. The example of the path-module is
instructive because it actually represents path objects not just a
bunch of functions in isolation that manipulate strings that can be
interpreted as paths. I started to read in the lib.py documentation of
pypy and again I found the reference to the path-module. Different
people seem to share similar ideas and claim about inconveniencies. I
use the path-module by myself for a year. This indicates that there is
something wrong or missing in the std-library.

Regards,
Kay