Thoughts on some stdlib modules

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Apr 11 17:51:01 EDT 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> I can help build an infrastructure that makes it easier to create a more
> complete standard distribution, sure.  (and since this isn't exactly a new
> idea, I'm 100% confident that I don't have to do all the work myself.)
>
> if this is needed is something for the PSF to decide, I suppose.

I can't get a clear picture what precisely would have to be done, and
how you would imagine to transition from where we are now. However, my
initial reaction would be that the PSF traditionally stays out of any
kind of technical decision on the Python source code and distribution
(*). It is to support the development of Python, not to control it. So
my intuition is that perhaps you could just start. If you need to
arrange something on python.org, you could well do so. If you want to
change the way in which Python is released, you would have to convince
the release manager (primarily) of doing things differently - if your
plan involves changes to the way Python is released.

So in the end, I think this sort of change will require some convincing,
which, in turn, may require to fill paper of what the proposed changes
are and how they could come about.

Regards,
Martin

(*) Atleast formally. Informally, the opinion of the PSF members (not
the formal vote of the directors) clearly does have impact on the future
of Python - as many of the PSF members are also contributors to Python.