Thoughts on some stdlib modules

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Apr 10 15:16:27 EDT 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> For a number of libraries added recently, I heard lots of complaints
> how terrible they are to use, including, in particular, the XML
> and logging libraries, and the Unicode type, and that "something
> else" is so much easier to use. Why is it that the authors of
> "something else" never contribute it to Python?

because we're not willing to go through endless PEP processes,
generate patches that end up sitting on sourceforge for years, deal
with shitstorms initiated by developers of "competing" libraries, sign
over our copyrights to the PSF, loose control over the code base,
seeing the code being forked into several incompatible versions,
and so on ?

(I'd rather spend that energy on developing new stuff.)

</F>