Thoughts on some stdlib modules

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Apr 10 17:25:17 EDT 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> because we're not willing to go through endless PEP processes,
> generate patches that end up sitting on sourceforge for years, deal
> with shitstorms initiated by developers of "competing" libraries, sign
> over our copyrights to the PSF, loose control over the code base,
> seeing the code being forked into several incompatible versions,
> and so on ?

I can see why you are not willing to do some of these things. But
I can't see why that is for other things. For example, why are you
not willing to license your contribution to the PSF (nobody asks
you to "sign it over")?

As for patches sitting on sourceforge for years: regular contributors
can commit to the CVS without putting a patch on SF first (as you
certainly know), so an alternative to waiting for years is to become
a regular contributor.

As for "losing control" - you seem to have a notion of control that
truly makes it difficult to contribute to Python. In this specific
case, I don't think Python should change, though; it should be
possible to accept changes to your code before asking for
your permission to make that change.

Regards,
Martin