Gnuplot.py and, _by far_, the weirdest thing I've ever seen on my computer

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 11 10:53:57 EDT 2005

>>>>> "syd" == syd  <syd.diamond at gmail.com> writes:

    syd> As for matplotlib, I checked it out.  Looks amazing!  I
    syd> really, really like what demos I tried.

    syd> HOWEVER, I could not find a good way to do smoothing.  I like
    syd> the gnuplot bezier smoothing.  This wouldn't be the hardest
    syd> thing in the world to code, but I was a little disappointed.
    syd> If yall have any ideas, bring em on!  :)

What is the gnuplot interface to use smoothing?

When I want to do something like this, I use scipy's interpolate
module and pass the reults to matplotlib for plotting.

    from scipy import arange, sin, pi, interpolate
    from pylab import plot, show

    t = arange(0, 2.0, 0.1)
    y = sin(2*pi*t)
    tck = interpolate.splrep(t, y, s=0)
    tnew = arange(0, 2.0, 0.01)
    ynew = interpolate.splev(tnew, tck, der=0)
    plot(t, y, 'o', tnew, ynew)

    show()