Python documentation moronicities (continued)

Claudio Grondi claudio.grondi at freenet.de
Tue Apr 26 06:24:28 EDT 2005

Conclusion:
---------------
I agree with Bill Mill saying
"I'd suggest that he [Xah Lee] actually make
an effort at improving the docs before
submitting them."
so I am still waiting for the final version
before deciding which docu is
better, believing, that if Xah Lee puts
more work and serious efforts into his
attempt it could result in a docu clear
superior to the existing one.

Argumentation:
---------------------
Both documentations are different approaches
and it is currently hard for me to tell which one
is really better (the proposed is better structured,
the existing provides information missing
in the proposed).
In both, the existing and the proposed
documentation I am still missing a good
introductory part showing what regular
expressions are good for and
what are the limitations, i.e. when is it better
to use self-written code instead of regexs
(including examples of both, very simple
and more complex real-world problems).
I would also miss some of the information
removed from the docs in the proposed
documentation.
>From my point of view both, the existing and
the proposed documentation assume some
knowledge about regular expressions as
such, so doesn't really explain, beeing
limited to showing the syntax of usage.
In other words, I am missing the "Pythonic
approach" here.

Claudio
P.S. sorry for not including details in my comment,
but to show what I mean would require rewriting
the docs ...

"Xah Lee" <xah at xahlee.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:1114477978.067147.293900 at z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
Dear Steve Holden,

the rewrite of the regex doc is instigated by your offer.

it is published and announced here on April 18th. If you deem it
proper, paypal me. It will be to your credit and easier to incorporate
into the main doc.

 Xah
 xah at xahlee.org
? http://xahlee.org/