Python documentation moronicities (continued)

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Apr 26 06:09:42 EDT 2005

"Claudio Grondi" <claudio.grondi at freenet.de> writes:

> From my point of view both, the existing and
> the proposed documentation assume some
> knowledge about regular expressions as
> such, so doesn't really explain, beeing
> limited to showing the syntax of usage.

It's not clear that this belongs in the Python documentation. The
smtplib documentation doesn't explain what an smtp server is, and why
you'd want to contact one. It just tells you how to go about doing
those things - in other words, the syntax of usage.

Possibly a link to a number of resources like <URL:
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Regular_Expressions/ >
should be added to the documentation?

> In other words, I am missing the "Pythonic
> approach" here.

I don't think there's an agreed-upon "Pythonic approach" to regular
expressions. Some people swear by them. Other swear at them.

             <mike