Dr Dobbs "with" keyword

Neil Hodgson nyamatongwe+gravity at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 20:32:23 EDT 2005

   In the March 2005 issue of Dr Dobbs Journal there is an article
"Resource Management in Python" by Oliver Schoenborn. One paragraph
(first new paragraph, page 56) starts "Starting with Python 2.4, a new
type of expression lets you use the keyword /with/". It continues,
mentioning PEP 310 (Reliable Acquisition/Release Pairs) which is at
"Draft" status and unlikely to be accepted with the keyword "with" as
Guido wants to use that for another purpose. The discussion of cyclic
garbage also troubles me but is not an area in which I have much
experience.

   While publishing a correction in a future issue would not be very
helpful, adding a correction to online and CD-ROM versions would be. If
anyone understands the technical review process at DDJ, could they give
them a little prod.

   Neil