Dr Dobbs "with" keyword

Giovanni Bajo noway at sorry.com
Sat Apr 16 12:50:07 EDT 2005

Neil Hodgson wrote:

>    In the March 2005 issue of Dr Dobbs Journal there is an article
> "Resource Management in Python" by Oliver Schoenborn. One paragraph
> (first new paragraph, page 56) starts "Starting with Python 2.4, a new
> type of expression lets you use the keyword /with/". It continues,
> mentioning PEP 310 (Reliable Acquisition/Release Pairs) which is at
> "Draft" status and unlikely to be accepted with the keyword "with" as
> Guido wants to use that for another purpose.

Whatever keyword is chosen, I hope PEP 310 eventually hit Python, I have been
awaiting it for a long time. I would also like to have a builtin resource()
like this:

def resource(enter_call, exit_call):
   class Res(object):
      __enter__ = lambda self: enter_call()
      __exit__ = lambda self: exit_call()
   return Res()

with resource(self.mutex.lock, self.mutex.unlock):
    pass

Either that, or "with" could call adapt() implicitly so I can register my
conversion functions.
--
Giovanni Bajo