Python license (2.3)

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Apr 12 08:57:19 EDT 2005

Antoon Pardon wrote:
> I have made a module derived from the Queue module deliverd
> with python 2.3. I would like to make this module (called
> tube) available for other people. However it is not clear
> to me how I can do this in accordance with the python
> license.
>
> First of all it seems I have to make a sumary of how
> my module differs from the original.

That would seem to apply primarily because this is a derivative product
of a Python distribution. Therefore, your description could be limited
to "removed the rest of the distribution" followed by specific details
of your changes making Queue into tube.

> Second it seems I have to include the following in
> my code:
>
>   "Copyright (c) 2001, 2002 Python Software Foundation;
>    All Rights Reserved"
>
> Do I understand correctly?

I believe so.

> Because I don't mind the first but I'm not so happy
> with the second. Are there other things I have to
> watch out for?

Since the PSF copyrighted the original work from which you are deriving,
you have already agreed to do this in any distributed derived work:

   http://www.python.org/2.3/license.html

clearly says """provided, however, that PSF's License Agreement and
PSF's notice of copyright, i.e., "Copyright (c) 2001, 2002, 2003 Python
Software Foundation; All Rights Reserved" are retained in Python 2.3
alone or in any derivative version prepared by Licensee."""

Should we wait until you publish tube and then remove *your* attribution
to claim the code as our own?

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/