interactive web graphics

Eckhoff, Michael A EckhoffM at NAVO.NAVY.MIL
Fri Apr 29 16:55:15 EDT 2005

On 2005-04-29 Diez Roggisch wrote:
> Take qt if you can - the upcoming version qt4 will be GPLed for windows
> (which means better binary support for windows), but recently the qt3 x11
> free edition got adapted to windows. I use that myself, and have to say
> that I'm pretty impressed - apart from some real minor glitches (e.g. the
> date entry widget shows some highlighting problems) things work smooth.
And
> qt is a fantastic toolkit. And very well worth the money you have to buy
it
> - the time and effort saved using a well-designed orthogonal toolkit will
> make the cost amortise pretty quick. Especially when used in conjunction
> with PyQt.

I'm surprised that Trolltech is allowing Microsoft to get their product
for free. I have played with Qt3 somewhat; not sure how their widgetry
compares with GTK+, as far as looks are concerned, but much prefer C++.
Disappointingly, the openGL module for QT failed to work when I ran the
examples.  I hear VTK is nice. Just checked Google and, sure enough,
there's a pyVTK.

On 2005-04-28 Lee Harr wrote:
> How about the blender web plugin?
> http://www.blender.org/modules/bc2002/plugin.html
>
> I am not sure the plugin has been updated to match
> recent blender releases, but recent blenders offer
> python scripting. Could be interesting anyhow.

Blender looks impressive too, but do I have to learn
how to program with mozilla? I feel like a bee who cannot
decide on which flower to light. Anyway, thanks to you all
for the input.

Mike E