database in python ?

Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud peufeu at free.fr
Tue Apr 12 16:47:01 EDT 2005

> Bottomline - mysql has a lot of marketshare, is improving, and I'm sure
> that it'll eventually be a credible product.  But right now it's has a
> wide range of inexcusable problems.

	I so totally agree with you.
	I find that mysql promotes bad coding practices by ignoring errors and
substituting invalid data with factory defaults. If it complained when an
obvious error occured (like inserting an invalid date or saying "I can't
fit this data in this column") it would be easy to find the bug ; instead
it shows up months later in creepy ways when you realize part of your data
was truncated, or otherwise screwed up in quite imaginative ways, and you
have to fix the damn thing by hand, burning your eyes on phpmyadmin
screens.
	Also most of the interesting features are in the Beta 5.0 !
	I find it ironic that it's the biggest open source database while there
are a lot of really free alternatives like firebird or postgres, which
have all the good features Right Now, and which Just Work. There is also a
lot of marketing hype and frankly I have no trust at all in a company
which was making public statements like "Who needs foreign keys ?" just
because their product didnot supports them, then when it supports them,
changing their PR to match.