Converting a perl module to a python module would it be worth it?

bruno modulix onurb at xiludom.gro
Thu Apr 14 10:56:19 EDT 2005

Mothra wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am the current author of the Astro-Sunrise perl module
> http://search.cpan.org/~rkhill/Astro-Sunrise-0.91/Sunrise.pm
> and was wondering if it would be worth while to convert it to python.

Only you and your module's users may tell...

> First off, I have never programmed in python. I would like to use
> this project to learn python.

Well, this might be an answer to your first question !-)

> I was wondering if there was a
> "How to program python for perl programmers"
> Kinda
> like what is different between the two, pitfalls for perl programmers
> and what not.

http://www.hackdiary.com/slides/lpw2004/
http://starship.python.net/crew/aahz/OSCON2002/
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-September/241757.html
http://pleac.sourceforge.net/

Google is your friend, as usual...

Note that, apart from the Perl/Python diffs, Python has some (few)
gotchas, one of them being the difference between mutable and immutable
objects.

http://www.python.org/pypi/

> Thanks in advance.

HTH, and welcome on board.

PS: please don't consider my sig as representative of a good Python
coding style !-)

--
bruno desthuilliers