Working with method-wrapper objects

Peer Dr. Griebel peer.griebel at web.de
Tue Apr 19 09:31:51 EDT 2005

I think I was a little bit unspecific in my last mail.

I would like to see some description about method-wrapper and
wrapper_descriptor objects.  I dont' understand the following behaviour:

>>> type([].__str__)
<type 'method-wrapper'>
>>> type(object.__str__)
<type 'wrapper_descriptor'>
>>> type(object().__str__)
<type 'method-wrapper'>

>>> import inspect
>>> inspect.isroutine([].__str__)
False
>>> inspect.isroutine(object.__str__)
True
>>> inspect.isroutine(object().__str__)
False

Why has [].__str__ a different type than object.__str__?
Why is object.__str__ a routine while object().__str__ not?

And one again my question: Can I extract some more information about a
methed-wrapper object. E.g. can I somehow determine the arg spec?

Thanks
  Peer