Distributing Python Apps and MySQL

rbt rbt at athop1.ath.vt.edu
Thu Apr 7 15:27:14 EDT 2005

dcrespo wrote:
> Hi there... I want to distribute my python apps and the MySQL Database
> in the easiest way possible. I mean a user just run the installation
> file and all is automaticly installed. Any suggestions?
>
> My knowledge: I know, as many of you, that there's py2exe for compiling
> python apps for running under Windows. But what about the database
> structure and data? I think it could be reached through a .qry run in
> the MySQL database from an installation instruction. But (one more
> time) what about the automated installation of the MySQL database
> without user intervention?
>
> Daniel Crespo

I don't think one can distribute mysql within a software package w/o
buying a commercial license to do so. Check out their licensing on their
website here:

"When your application is not licensed under either the GPL-compatible
Free Software License as defined by the Free Software Foundation or
approved by OSI, and you intend to or you may distribute MySQL software,
you must first obtain a commercial license to the MySQL product."

http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/commercial-license.html